Years back, I experimented with Rural Tourism, and years later I got to be on it again as part of a Government initiative. So I thought of creating a list of Rural Tourism organizations in India.
- Himalayan Village, Sonapani, Uttarakhand
- Ecosphere, Spiti, Himachal Pradesh
- India Untravelled, Kerala, Rajasthan, Punjab
- Travel Another India, Ladakh, MP, Gujarat
- Tendrel Travel, Leh, Ladakh
- The Folk Tales – Bundi in Rajasthan, West Sikkim & Spiti in Himachal
East / North East India
- Abor Country Travels, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh, North East India
- The Greener Pastures – North East India
- Dirty feet, Hyderabad
- Muddy Boots – Kerala, Karnataka
- Navadarshanam, Bangalore – Not really tourism but an eco-living project involving local communities
These companies, aim to give you a taste of rural India in a responsible way. These are typically places where you will not find regular tourism infrastructures like hotels and taxi services. These companies will help you stay in their identified homestays and let you live with locals just the way they live. They will curate local experiences including small treks or adventure activities. They also contribute to the rural economy by generating livelihoods for the locals through tourism. In a way, they create a channel that connects the rural economy to the tourism economy while creating new experiences for experiential travel.
So, at IndiTales, we want to lend them support by writing about them.
I have personally not traveled with any of these companies but have collected this information based on secondary research or my interactions with some of the people who run these companies.
Do you know rural tourism company / organization not listed here?
Have traveled with one not listed here?
Please let us know & help us make this a comprehensive list of rural tourism companies in India.