Diving into the still waters of Mandovi river at Malim jetty, this in-flight white-throated Kingfisher bird managed to catch a fish. And flew back to the nearby mangroves to relish. Malim jetty located on the northern side of Mandovi river, by the side of the bridges connecting Panjim and Porvorim, is jetty exclusively for fishermen. Motorized boats with loads of captured fish are unloaded, sorted and then packed off in ice by trucks to the consumer destinations.
It is interesting to notice that Kingfisher bird intensely watches the waters. For a considerable time before taking a quick, short, sharp plunge to catch the prey. They don’t dive deep. Nor can they spot the prey in rapidly flowing waters. Hence they perch on the plants, trees, dry poles by the river edge and lakes to spot the prey. They also pick up insects from the fields while plowing activity is on and the insects deep in the soil get exposed.
Kingfisher is a colorful bird especially in-flight. Reddish large beak, primarily blue feathers with streaks of white and blackish by the borders, white-throat, red feet, brown head are the common features of the bird. It is a common bird of Goa and India. Mostly seen near water bodies and fields.
Recommend you read following travel blog on birding & bird photography.
- Flock of Woolly-necked Stork – Birding in Goa.
- Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary – Places to visit in Rajasthan.
- Birds in my Garden at Gurgaon – Beauty of Nature.
- Birds of Pench National Park, Madhya Pradesh – Bird Photography.
- Bird Photography at Satpura National Park, Madhya Pradesh.
- Sunday shot: Rose-ringed Parakeet in-flight – Birding in Goa.