Years back, I experimented with Rural Tourism. And years later I got to be on it again as part of a Government initiative. So I thought of creating a list of such organizations in India.
Rural Tourism Organizations, India
Here is a list of organizations across the regions of India.
- Himalayan Village, Sonapani, Uttarakhand
- Ecosphere, Spiti, Himachal Pradesh
- India Untravelled, Kerala, Rajasthan, Punjab
- Travel Another India, Ladakh, MP, Gujarat
- Tendrel Travel, Leh, Ladakh
- The Folk Tales – Bundi in Rajasthan, West Sikkim & Spiti in Himachal
East / North East India
- Abor Country Travels, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh, North East India
- The Greener Pastures – North East India
- Dirty feet, Hyderabad
- Muddy Boots – Kerala, Karnataka
- Navadarshanam, Bangalore. Not really tourism but an eco-living project involving local communities
Taste of Rural India
These companies, aim to give you a taste of rural India in a responsible way. They show you around typically the places where you will not find regular tourism infrastructures. Like the hotels and taxi services. These companies will help you stay in their identified homestays. They let you live with the locals just the way they live. You will get curated local experiences including small treks or adventure activities. Such companies contribute to the rural economy by generating livelihoods for the locals through tourism. In a way, they create a channel that connects the rural economy to the tourism economy. While creating new experiences for experiential travelers connecting the dots.
So, at IndiTales, we want to lend them support by writing about them.
I have personally not traveled with any of these companies. But have collected this information based on secondary research. And or based on my interactions with some of the people who run these companies.
Do you know any such company/organization not listed here?
Have you traveled with anyone not listed here?
Please let us know & help us make this a comprehensive list of such tourism companies in India.